Dear NYSASN Members,
With all the issues surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the role and responsibility of school nurses is more important than ever. We know that school nurses are on the front lines of exposure to students who are sick or who are asymptomatic but infectious. NYSASN has been one of the leading charges in communicating with leaders of our state regarding the importance of a school nurse being an essential member on pandemic preparedness, re-opening and re-entry planning teams.
Here are some important endeavors NYSASN’s Board of Directors have been involved with over the past few months, keeping school nursing at the forefront of plans to re-open schools.
- Constance F. Griffin, BS, RN, AE-C, NCSN, NASN NYS Director, Olga Jeanne Dolly, MSN, FNP-C, SNT, SNO Chair, and I were asked to serve on the NYS BOCES Task Force Committee to plan for reopening of schools. We met with the Health and Safety Coordinators from every BOCES within the state on 5/13/2020.
- Olga Jeanne Dolly, MSN, FNP-C, SNT, SNO Chair and I have been invited to participate in the State Education Department’s Regional Task Force on Reopening Schools. We are advocating for all schools to have a Registered Professional School Nurse present in every school building and for all school nurses to be provided with PPE protection.
- A letter was sent to Senator Charles Schumer asking him to support the funding of Registered Professional School Nurses in every school building. (4/20/2020)
- A letter was sent to Governor Andrew Cuomo requesting that O. Jeanne Dolly, MSN, FNP-C, SNT be added to his Task Force Committee to plan for reopening of schools. (5/13/2020)
- When schools reopen, it is imperative that school nurse are available and ready to assess students and implement health and wellness plans to keep students healthy, safe, and ready to learn at school. The presence of school nurses will be critical as schools reopen during this recovery phase from the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please use this attached template letter to write to your legislator/senators to ask them to support the mandate for Registered Professional School Nurses in every school building in our state.
Here is the link to find your state rep and their contact info. It is very easy to use: https://www.elections.ny.gov/district-map/district-map.html
I want to thank all of you for doing your part to support your students and school communities during this COVID-19 Pandemic.
Lou Ann Gleason, MSN, RN
President, New York State Association of School Nurses