The previous version of the bill below stalled during the legislative session. NYSASN will keep members apprised when a new version of the bill becomes available.
Together, we can ensure that every New York State school student has a Registered Professional School Nurse at their school to provide quality nursing services.
- Find your NYS legislator:
Find your Senator: https://www.nysenate.gov/senators-committees
Find your Assembly Member: http://nyassembly.gov/mem/
- Write/email/call/visit your state legislators to request that they support the following bills and sign on as a co-sponsor:
A3855, Colton/S2362, Parker: School nurse on premises during school hours in any school having 100 or more pupils
A0853, Gunther/S4635, Robach: Would require school districts in largest five New York cities to employ a minimum of one school nurse per school buildingA0152, Cahill: School nurses for the inspection of pupils in schools
- If your legislator is one of the bill sponsors indicated above, express support for the bill.
- Cite any or all of the following points from the NASN document: School Nurses: Supporting Education, Advancing Student Health
- School nurses have served a critical role in improving public health and in ensuring students’ academic success for more than 100 years
- School nurses provide early access to care when children’s cognitive development is at its peak
- School nurses promote wellness and disease prevention to improve health outcomes for our nation’s children
- School nurses are members of school-based mental health teams, along with school counselors, psychologists and social workers
- School nurses use their specialized knowledge, assessment skills and judgement to manage children’s increasingly complex medical conditions and chronic health illnesses
- State that school nurses influence student attendance and reduce health care expenditures with preventative care and chronic health management
- Provide copies or links to the following support documents: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/AAP-Policy-Statement-Recommends-Full-Time-Nurse-in-Every-School.aspx