NYSASN plays an active role in public policy issues that pertain to school health and the provision of professional school nursing services. To that end, NYSASN engages with elected officials to educate them about the impact of proposed legislation on the provision of school health and school nursing services.
PROMOTING A NURSE IN EVERY SCHOOL
Together, we can ensure that every New York State school student has a Registered Professional School Nurse at their school to provide quality nursing services.
- Find your NYS legislator:
Find your Senator: https://www.nysenate.gov/senators-committees
Find your Assembly Member: http://nyassembly.gov/mem/
- Write/email/call/visit your state legislators to request that they support the following bills and sign on as a co-sponsor:
A3855, Colton/S2362, Parker: School nurse on premises during school hours in any school having 100 or more pupils
A0853, Gunther/S4635, Robach: Would require school districts in largest five New York cities to employ a minimum of one school nurse per school building A0152, Cahill: School nurses for the inspection of pupils in schools
- If your legislator is one of the bill sponsors indicated above, express support for the bill.
4. Cite any or all of the following points from the NASN document: School Nurses: Supporting Education, Advancing
Student Health (https://www.nasn.org/Portals/0/about/making_the_connection.pdf):
- School nurses have served a critical role in improving public health and in ensuring students’ academic success for more than 100 years
- School nurses provide early access to care when children’s cognitive development is at its peak
- School nurses promote wellness and disease prevention to improve health outcomes for our nation’s children
- School nurses are members of school-based mental health teams, along with school counselors, psychologists and social workers
- School nurses use their specialized knowledge, assessment skills and judgement to manage children’s increasingly complex medical conditions and chronic health illnesses
- State that school nurses influence student attendance and reduce health care expenditures with preventative care and chronic health management https://www.nasn.org/portals/0/about/The_Case_for_School_Nursing.pdf
- Provide copies or links to the following support documents: https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/AAP-Policy-Statement-Recommends-Full-Time-Nurse-in-Every-School.aspx
2017 NYS LEGISLATIVE BILL SUMMARIES
Click here for a list of proposed 2017 New York legislative bill summaries affecting students and/or school nurses. These bills are being closely watched by NYSASN. If you have any questions, please contact NYSASN’s Legislative Chair, Stacey Marye via her e-mail: email@example.com
Memorandum of Support for Assembly Bill A3899 and Senate Bill S3941
Click here to read the full Memorandum of Support for the proposed act to grant schools access to a student’s blood lead information in the statewide immunization information system in order to provide appropriate educational service.
Memorandum of Support for Assembly Bill A1842 and Senate Bill S3520 (updated Feb 2017)
Click here to read the full Memorandum of Support for the proposed act to amend the education law, in relation to the educational preparation for practice of professional nursing.
The NYS Education Department proposed technical amendments to Part 136 of the Commissioner’s Regulations Relating to School Health Services. During the 45 day public comment period, NYSASN submitted the following document to SED: Proposed Tech Amendments Talking Points (March 2017)